Let’s face it, when it is hot outside we are not always anxious to fire up the oven to prepare a heathy meal. What sounds AMAZING is an ice cold, creamy beverage to sip on while we try to cool down.
Super smoothies are a great answer!
Protein shakes are often our go to for post workout recovery drink. But with just a few additional ingredients we can turn this protein snack into a balanced meal replacement.
- Start with 4-8 oz of a liquid. Water, almond milk (unsweetened), cow’s milk, soy milk, coconut milk
- Add a serving – around 25g – of a protein powder. Whey, Casein, and Pea are just a few of your options.
- 1-2 handfuls of a veggie. Yup. You read that right. A VEGGIE! Your other ingredients will do a great job a “hiding” these nutrient rich foods. Spinach is a great choice – besides the color, you won’t even know it’s there! Pumpkin, beets, kale, cucumber, and sweet potato are also great options.
- 1-2 handfuls of a fruit. Fruits are packed with natural sweetness and will drive the flavor of your super smoothy. Mix it up – bananas, berries, cherries, apples, pineapple and mango in any combination!
- 1-2 T of a healthy fat. Plant based sources of fats are the go to: Peanut or nut butters, almonds, flax or chia seeds, unsweetened coconut, cashews
- Top is off with a flavor booster – a dash of cinnamon or a tsp of cocoa powder will dial up the flavor!
Add a cup of ice – you can omit if using frozen fruit – and blend until smooth.
Cheers to Super Smoothies!
Renaissance Nutrition offers customized Nutrition plans for CrossFit Renaissance Members as well as for non members in the Philadelphia Community. Are you looking to lose weight, learn to make healthy choices, or optimize your eating to support a performance goal? Our unique program offers meal plans for weight loss and performance, and both in person and online check ins for personal accountability. Book a Nutrition Intro to tell us more about your goals.