Howdy everyone. After a long delay, the blog is back and I have quite a bit of catching to do.
I might have said this in a few posts about various dinner recipes, but I REALLY mean it this time when I say Taco Pie one is probably my favorite Paleo meals to make for dinner. It is so easy and satisfying, you might never go to Taco Bell again. Who am I kidding…
My mom had surgery two weeks ago and this was the first thing I made when we came home. It was the first meal that came to mind because of how easy it is to make (did I mention that already?) and because it’s great for leftovers and takes no time to heat up in the microwave for the next day’s lunch. With my mom recovering and me not being around during the day because I had to go back to work, I wanted to make sure she would have something that wouldn’t take longer than 30 seconds to put together. She loves it so much she already asked me to make it next week, and she is not a fan of most of the Paleo meals i’ve made in the past.
I have to admit before I list the recipe, that with my substitutions, this isn’t 100% Paleo. The recipe calls for homemade BBQ sauce with homemade ketchup as one of the ingredients in the bbq sauce. One of these days I hope to have enough time to make them, but it hasn’t happened yet. My solution? Sweet Baby Ray’s! If you want to skip bbq sauce all together, the guy who wrote this recipe says to use fresh herbs such as ground cloves, cinnamon, cumin, sage, thyme and rosemary.
Pie Crust Preparation
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, butter and salt. Blend until a doughy texture takes shape.
- Transfer the dough into a 9 inch pie dish and press it out evenly into the dish so that the complete surface is covered.
Pie Filling Ingredients
- 1 lb ground beef (ground turkey is another option)
- 1 tbsp Paleo cooking fat (I used butter because I didn’t have coconut oil)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup homemade barbecue sauce
- 1 cup lettuce, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
Pie Filling Preparation
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- In a large skillet over a medium-high heat, melt the cooking fat and sauté the onions in the cooking fat until they become slightly translucent.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet and cook until the beef has cooked through.
- Mix the barbecue sauce in with the beef and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 2 more minutes and then remove from the heat.
5. Pour the beef into the pie crust and place in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
Right out of the oven
6. Prior to serving, cover the surface of the pie with chopped lettuce, red bell pepper and avocado.
Instead of covering the surface of the pie with all the veggies, I cut them and put them on a plate so people can pick or choose. I think it’s the best way just in case someone in your family doesn’t like one of the veggies, such as avocado. You can use whatever vegetables you want. I use avocado, red bell peppers, tomato and spinach. The crust will be a little crumbly, but it tastes just as good messy! Don’t forget to season the ground beef with s&p. I know ya’ll will enjoy this. Don’t forget to take the leftovers to lunch the next day!