CFR’s CrossFit Total In-House Competition
The CrossFit Total is the sum of the best of three attempts at the Back Squat, the Strict Press, and the Deadlift, “the three most effective lifts in existence for developing and testing functional strength.” (Mark Rippetoe, 2006).
On Saturday, January 25th, you will be have the opportunity to test your functional strength. If you are competing, you are no stranger to performing these three lifts safely and with proper form. But you should be prepared before stepping onto the mat.
How to Prepare? You must be familiar with your current 1 RM or have a fairly good idea!
- Your first attempt will be a load that you know for sure you can do for a heavy set of 3.
- Your second attempt will be a weight that you know you can do for a heavy single.
- Your final attempt is the weight that you want do do! Base it off your performance in the first two sets.
- Should you have a missed attempt, you may have to adjust your next lift!
- If you are unsure, discuss your plan with your Coach or Personal Trainer!
Warm Up: Your warm up sets should be building up to your first attempt. Here’s an example:
Sally’s first squat attempt will be 175#. Her warm ups will go something like this:
75 x 5
95 x 3
115 x 2
135 x 1
155 x 1
On the day of the competition, everyone will go through a weigh in; our Head Coach Bill will go over the rules and demonstrate correct form and safety protocols. The order of the lifts will be squat, press, and then deadlift. Each competitor will perform all three lifts in one session, meaning that you cannot leave the floor between lifts. Wear clothing that does not cover your knees or elbows! Judges must be able to view full extension to rule the lift successful. You may use a weight belt and knee sleeves, if you choose.
Invite your family & friends! Show them what you can do!!
If you have not yet registered for this event, do so today! Register Here!
Judges Needed & some extra hands to help with barbell loading! To volunteer, contact Jennifer at firstname.lastname@example.org.